Sunday, October 30, 2011

Upward Swabbing V.S. Downward Swabbing

Last week, as I was walking through the practice hallway at The University of Akron, I ran into one of my fellow saxophone players doing something odd. She was stringing her cleaning swab from bell to neck to clean out the moister. I stopped and asked her why she doing it that way?  She responded with " It takes more moister out of the horn". I responded with that she wasn't taking out as much moister if she went from  neck to bell with the swab. This soon turned into a heated debate on how to clean a sax with a saxophone swab.

Well after some research and asking some technicians at some music stores, I've found out that both ways are correct. Here is the way I was always taught: I was always taught you want the moister to go down towards the bell and away from the pads. Here: is a video on neck to bell swabbing:

 
With that said here is a video showing how other people might have been taught:

I've done it both ways and found no difference in getting rid of moister, but the big picture here is that you get rid of all of the moister in your horn before putting it away.

~MT~

1 comment: